Monday, August 19, 2013

My Wonderful Year Before My Exchange - Part 1

This past year has gone faster than I thought it would go and has been extremely enjoyable. I have done many things with Rotary this past year. I told my parents that I was interested about Rotary Youth Exchange in May 2012. Of course, as any parents would be, they were fairly shocked. As a child I had expressed an interest in other cultures. They told me that I had their permission to go. Little did I know that the road ahead of me would take a lot more of me than I had planned, but in the end I know that it is totally worth it.

In July 2012, I attended RYLA. RYLA is leadership weekend which is by Rotary. I enjoyed everything there. I learned more about youth exchange. I also met other rebounds and rotexs.  I talked with a few Rotarians and Steve Jackson, the chairman for RYE (Rotary Youth Exchange) for 6510, about exchange and at first I was told that I was too young. However, this didn't discourage me at all. I made a good friend there. Her name is Ashlee. We had talked about youth exchange and she told me she was interested too. I was very happy I wouldn't be alone. We both ended up going though the entire process. Now, She's an outbound like me going to the Philippines.



In September 2012, My parents, my sister and myself got in the van to make the three hour drive to make it to an informational meeting in Carbondale on Wednesday, a school night. I met Rich Lunan, Mike Wieland and Warren Schenewerk. These awesome people have literally been with me the entire way. I also met three students and their families there. Two of the three would go the next step, the interview. I did receive a lot of information that night. By the way, we got home at midnight.

In October 2012, I had my interview to become a Rotary Youth Exchange student. I had read that this was a nerve-wracking time for most people going through Rotary. Yes, I was a bit nervous after hearing what others had said. Once I got to Carbondale, I met Ed True, (another awesome Rotarian) and Emma and Gerardo, (Rotary youth exchange students on their exchange in the USA : France and Mexico). The interview was split up into four areas, : Knowledge of Rotary, Country Preference, Application, and Rebound Questions. It was the big moment now, they were going to interview me. I went to Rotary knowledge and all of my nervousness seemed to melt away. In the end I was crossing my fingers I would be chosen to go. A few weeks later, I got the call that I was chosen as a primary candidate. I would be going. I was very excited.

December 2012 - There was an international dinner with Rotarians, Parents, Rebounds, Rotexs, and the nine Inbounds in 6510.  The dinner had American food and food from the countries the inbounds were from. The people in the first picture are myself, Ashlee Foster, (my RYLA buddy), Mary Phillips, Brian Suarez, Nancy Paul (past RYE chairman), Eli Scherer (rebound) and District 6510 governor elect, Mike Nowobilski, along with their families.


 

The Inbounds were Arttu Linden (Finland), Geraldo Juaristi (Mexico), Andres Quintero (Ecuador), Emma Pauchet (France), Anna Aberto (Germany), Beatriz (Bia) Rodrigues Lourencao (Brazil), Mayu Morita (Japan), Cayla Callista (Indonesia), and Lilla Toth (Hungary). Here are the inbounds along with their host families.



4 comments:

  1. This will be such a wonderful, new experience! Best wishes and GREAT expectations for what lies ahead for you in the coming months. Your blog is off-and-running Muriel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Muriel,
    I am Marla Gulley (Roncaglia) and old childhood friend of your family. I was in your Aunt Joyce's class. I am so happy that you will be taking advantage of such a wonderful opportunity. I live up north in the alps by Turin, but am only a skype or email away. Feel free to contact me if you ever need a local ear or anything al tall. My email address is marla@bellabaita.com and I am on facebook and our website has all of our contact information. www.bellabaita.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow thank you, Marla. Turin is very far from where I will be living. I will be living in Trecase, Napoli, Campania.

      Delete
  3. As you already know, I am so excited for you. I look forward to reading about your experiences this year. Safe travels!!!

    ReplyDelete