Sunday, January 12, 2014

The holidays in my home away from home. Part 2 - Ciao, Ricciardis 😘

After Christmas, I was in a way relieved that it was over, but there was one thing that continued to make me nervous only three days after Christmas I would be switching families. I would have to say now it was one of the hardest things I've had to do on exchange. Of course I knew I had to do it but I really hated the idea. I've lived with these two wonderful people, who have helped me so much, for 4 months. So, just leaving them was really difficult. Near the end, I just tried to enjoy my time with them. Packing up my room felt really weird. Exactly like leaving again.
   I remember my last full day with them. There was a Rotary game night that night. A few of the exchange students and I were going to go to the mall the following week. So once we got home, for some reason, I asked Cinzia if I could go. Then I said, "Wait, it's not important anymore." and I just started to cry. I think Cinzia realized what I had done and she came over to give me a hug. I mean now I look at it all as being completely normal. After 4 months with this incredible woman and after she was my caregiver and mother for this time, it really is normal. 
    My last day with them had come. My room was all packed up. All of my clothes were put away. I ate my last lunch with them and also with their daughter Anna. I saw Nonno (Grandfather) and he gave me a card to smooth things over with the change. (It really did.) 
The time had come for us to change. I couldn't help but cry once I saw Laurel. (My fellow exchange student) We both cried like little babies. Really, the only way I can put this situation into perspective is that it was like leaving my mother all over again. I said my last goodbyes and got all of my things and left, still with tears in my eyes and after receiving hugs from Cinzia and Lello, even a kiss from little Cinzia.  

At the same time I was thinking if it's this hard to leave them now just think about how it will be when I leave Italy. 


I still miss them terribly everyday but luckily I see them every Wednesday. As Cinzia told my parents, "To make our separation sweeter." 


And this difficult journey continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment